[IGSTK-Developers] Cross Hairs: vtkImagePlaneWidget &vtkImageOrthoPlanes

Torleif Sandnes torleif.sandnes at sintef.no
Fri Aug 17 09:31:44 EDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> As we discussed during the tcon,
> it may be useful to look at the following VTK classes:
>
>          vtkImagePlaneWidget
>          vtkImageOrthoPlanes
>
>  http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImagePlaneWidget.html
>  http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageOrthoPlanes.html
>

> in order to gather feedback for the Cross Hairs class.

Thanks for the pointers.
I have experimented with vtkImagePlaneWidget and it looks good except
for a few things:
1. I don't want the user to be able to rotate the plane. the acs view
should be entirely 2D
2. I want the crosshair indicating position to be present at all times.

The drawback with vtkImageOrthoPlanes is that it isn't able to
synchronize a 3D view in addition to three 2D views.

I had a look at vtkInria3D as Ziv suggested and the synchronizedviews
example. This is exactly what I wanted in my application. I think
something like the vtkImageView/2D/3D should be a part of igstk.
While I agree with you that synchronization should occur between
representations and not views, I strongly believe that functionality
like this in some form is something that will be needed over and over
again in IGS applications.
I guess you get the general idea from the attached screenshot: an
axis indicates position and position is updated in all four views.
position, window level/width slize and zoom can be synchronized.

What do you think?