[IGSTK-Developers] Multi-frame single-file DICOMs

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Tue Mar 14 18:04:11 EST 2006

Hi Andinet,

Some ultrasound machines produce multi-frame 3D DICOM files, and I think
that all 3D nuclear medicine images are multi-frame.

I'm pretty sure that CT, MR and PET images are never multi-frame, unless
the frames are used for cine.  If conversion utilities create
multi-frame 3D MR or CT images, then those utilities are probably
stretching the DICOM standard, if not breaking it outright.

So the images that we have to worry about for IGSTK are 3D ultrasound
scans.  I've used a 3D ultrasound machine, and it produces multi-frame
3D image files.  I don't know if all 3D ultrasound machines produce
multi-frame 3D DICOM files, but some of them certainly do.

All the answers about what is standard and what isn't are in Chapter 3
of the DICOM standard.  My 2003 copy of the standard only mentions 3D
multi-frame images for nuclear medicine.  I suspect that the standards
for 3D ultrasound were still in draft then, since 3D ultrasound is a
very recent modality.

 - David