[IGSTK-Developers] Multi-frame single-file DICOMs

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Tue Mar 14 17:21:32 EST 2006

Folks,

On the tcon last week, we discussed about the need to modify the dicom
reader to allow multi-frame single-file DICOMs.  Luis and I looked at
the changes that need to be made in the  DICOMImageReader class state
machine design to support this type of dicom files. Supporting this type
of dicom files necessitates adding a new state and several changes in
the transition matrix. .

This significant change in the design made us think about the motivation
behind this feature add-on. We learnt from Julien that he made this
request due to the MRI dicom file he generated from an MRI image he has
in Meta data format. Julien used ITK Image IO filter for this
conversion. In close inspection of the image file writer, we realized
that the filter was doing the conversion incorrectly. The image file
writer will be fixed soon. Hence,  Julien wont have a problem with his
MRI dicom after the fix. But, the bigger question is how common are
multi-frame single dicom files to justify the changes in igstk DICOM
image reader class?

Any thoughts?

-Andinet