[IGSTK-Developers] Loopback test

Patrick Cheng cheng at isis.georgetown.edu
Fri Mar 10 17:29:56 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I just made a loopback device and plug it into the windows machine here,
and it turned out that the SerialCommunicationTest failed too.
http://public.kitware.com/IGSTK/Sites/build02.isis/Win32-IGSTK-VS71-Debug-Loopback/20060310-0430-Nightly/Test.html

I followed the wiring instruction in the attached picture. and I try to
use a windows program to test if this loopback device is working.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Hyper Terminal

I followed the test under this link:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/D48BA43C59B60277862569EE000501FD

Quote, "You will see the terminal window as shown below. If your serial
port is working and the loopback cable is properly connected, the text
you type appears in the window. If you remove the cable and type text,
it should not appear in this window. If this test behaves differently
than described here, see the troubleshooting advice at the end of this
section. "

I don't see the text when I am typing, so I guess the loopback is not
being set up correctly, I don't know if this is the same situation on
Zion-Loopback machine.

Am I doing the wring right? or it's a contact miss problem?

Patrick