[IGSTK-Developers] RE: Operating Room of the Future at St. Olavs

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 10 07:48:42 EDT 2006

Hi Jon,

It is good to hear from you and from the project you are
working on.

About your interesting question regarding plug-ins, Kevin
already give a good summary. We put a lot of emphasis on
safety in IGSTK and plug-ins, given their run-time dynamic
nature are a risk factor that we prefer to avoid.

That being said, there is no reason why the same modules of
the plugins could not be added as safe classes that interact
with IGSTK classes. Most of our attention about safety in the
operating room derives from the recommendations and guidelines
that the FDA provides regarding the use of software in medical
devices.

Although at first sight IGSTK may appear to have an overhead
due to its emphasis in safety, this characteristic is at the
same time, the one that makes IGSTK most interesting for being
used in a critical application such as image guided surgery

If you already have modules that have been developed for image
guided surgery, we can explore mechanisms for interfacing them
with ITK in a manner that is consistent with the FDA recommendations
for software used in  medical devices.

We will be happy to take a look at specific examples, and giving
it a try to the integration.

      Best regards,

         Luis