[IGSTK-Developers] NetMeeting On Wednesday Nov 19th to discuss thestate machine

Rick Avila rick.avila at kitware.com
Tue Oct 18 02:48:17 EDT 2005

Folks,

            Here is a preliminary agenda for our discussion on State
Machines this Wednesday. The goal of this meeting is to determine the
methods we will employ for the utilization of state machines in IGSTK for
the remainder of the project (Sept 2006). As homework everyone should read
the Wiki pages on state machines
(http://public.kitware.com/IGSTKWIKI/index.php/Design_discussions).

(1)     11am - 12:30 : Review Recommendations

David and Luis: Please each post on the Wiki a concise state machine coding
recommendation that addresses inheritance, error handling, and event
handling. It would be nice if you would include the pros and cons of your
recommended approach. I realize there is a lot of information in the Wiki,
but the concepts need to be synthesized down into some clear recommendations
(with references to the more detailed information in the Wiki or elsewhere).

During this time we should review each approach and make sure we fully
explore the positives and negatives involved with each. Derivative
approaches and methods should be noted and explored.

At the end of this session we will see whether we are nearing consensus or
if there is much further discussion and work to be done.

(2)     12:30 - 2:00pm : Deep Dive (if necessary)

During this time we will explore the coding implications of the recommended
approaches and whether there are alternative methods that can remove major
issues. This may require some breakout coding time or side discussions to
explore options in parallel and bring back insights to the group.

            (3)   2:00 - 3:30pm : Consensus Recommendations

We will review the major issues, suggested alternatives, and make decisions
on architecture, approach and guidelines. A Wiki document will be developed
outlining the approach we will take (can be expanded later, but the basics
need to be there).

            That's my thinking. Recommendations for improving this are much
appreciated.

- Rick

  _____