[IGSTK-Developers] IGSTK architecture paper: tracking section

Rick Avila rick.avila at kitware.com
Tue Jul 26 23:13:28 EDT 2005

	I have started the spatial object and viewer section. Here is the
first paragraph. I hope to have a first version complete by tomorrow
morning. I'll add a figure with images too.

" 	A key requirement of IGSTK is to provide visualization components
that can be easily assembled into applications that effectively convey
dynamic patient anatomy and the interventional devices and aids employed
during surgery. The toolkit is designed to support methods that store and
derive anatomical representations (e.g. digital images and geometric
surfaces), surgical device representations (e.g. geometric primitives and
complex 3D models), as well as algorithms to effectively visualize these
representations (e.g. 2D image display, polygonal rendering, and volume
rendering). The representations and methods available in ITK [ref] are
utilized for underlying anatomic and surgical device representations and the
imaging representations and methods available in VTK [ref] are used to
perform visualization. Specifically, the spatial object classes in ITK and
the rendering classes in VTK are used as underlying representations within
IGSTK classes that have been carefully constructed to meet strict safety
standards."

- Rick