[IGSTK-Developers] material for paper on motivation/introduction, image-guided surgery, and example application

Kevin Cleary cleary at georgetown.edu
Thu Dec 1 08:38:04 EST 2005

Kevin and others:

Here is some material for the paper per our discussion yesterday.

I provided

*	Motivation (revised this with Stephen's comments - may also go in
part of an introduction
*	Image-guided surgery section

*	Background: from a review paper I wrote
*	Need for Robust software: a start at justifying IGSTK
*	Example applications: just pasted from proposal: will need to be
greatly edited as I noted

So please take a look and send any comments you may have. In particular,
Stephen and David should look at the image-guided surgery section and send
there comments (I am also looking for some pictures here as you will note).
Everyone should look at the motivation section.

It would be great to get drafts of any sections to Kevin Gary by Monday so
we have time to edit this next week before the December 8th final deadline.
We really need a polished piece to get this accepted by IEEE computer in my
opinion.

Thanks

Kevin Sr. (and snowing in Chicago!)

Kevin Cleary, Ph.D.                        Work phone: 202-687-8253
Associate Professor                        Work fax: 202-784-3479
Deputy Director

Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology                    Pager: 202-901-2033
Georgetown University Medical Center       Cell phone: 202-294-3409
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603           Home phone: 301-299-0788
Washington, DC, 20007                      Home fax: 301-299-0789

ISIS center:  <http://www.isis.georgetown.edu/> www.isis.georgetown.edu
Research group:  <http://www.caimr.georgetown.edu/> www.caimr.georgetown.edu
WashCAS:  <http://www.washcas.org/> www.washcas.org
Email:  <mailto:cleary at georgetown.edu> cleary at georgetown.edu

Outline needed: my vote for the ordering:

*	first more on surgical guidance systems - this audient may be very
unfamiliar with these - show a picture or two of a OR - give the broad
components of an IGS system
*	K
*	then state machines as the software design - appeals to a slightly
smaller portion of the audience
*	then component details
*	then validation and debugging

  _____