[Ctk-developers] CTK license and copyright

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Sat Jul 9 14:41:49 EDT 2011

Hi,

Ok, we're getting way off course here.

Like we did with ITK, we can have submitters transfer copyrights to
the ISC or whatever entity we decide.  Or we can go with multiple
copyrights.   Again, really not important - as long as the license is
appropriate.

Dominque raises several good points regarding confusion arising when
multiple licenses are used, how to handle bug fixes contributed by
others, using non-standard licenses that only appear on webpages and
that may be arbitrarily changed and that are not under revision
control, and more.

The points raise by Dominique and the fact that we also need to
address patents is what led ITK and the ISC to adopt the Apache 2.0
license.  It covers contributed bug fixes, patents, etc etc.

On an email exchange that began 4/9/2010, we agreed that we would used
the Apache 2.0 license.   The email chain was begun by Luis.  We
received agreement from Aylward, Tarbox, Kikinis, Viceconte, Lorensen,
Zelzer, and Pieper.

We should review the code to make sure it is being consistently applied.