[Ctk-developers] CTK license and copyright

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Sat Jul 9 11:52:13 EDT 2011

Hi Dominique,

Please review the following topic:
  https://github.com/jcfr/CTK/compare/master...fix-license-header

788f261 Use URL to refer to ParaView license version 1.2
d4b55ab Fix indent in "Module" attribute associated with Paraview license
header
681c958 ctkBinaryFileDescriptor - Remove BWH Copyright year and fix indent
20cc5c8 Update license header associated with ctkVTKThumbnailViewTest1
56041fa Update license header associated with PythonQtDecorators

Thanks
Jc

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Stephen Aylward <
stephen.aylward at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Dominique,
>
> Thanks for asking and checking the files.
>
> All of CTK is suppose to be under the Apache 2.0 license.   If you
> find files with any other licence, please let us know.   We will fix
> them immediately.
>
> Regarding the holder of the copyright - I believe we decided that
> there would be no single copyright holder for CTK.  The files are held
> by the individual contributors and/or their institutions.   This is
> not how I would prefer things, because it creates an impression of
> complex ownership (whereas the Apache license assures the code will
> always be free for commercial and non-commercial use, and without
> patent restrictions to the best of our knowledge).
>
> The CTK members should probably re-address copyright assignments.   I
> suggest we have the assignment go to the Insight Software Consortium
> (ISC) or some other independent entity.   Hans Johnson at U of Iowa is
> the current president of the ISC, and he could ask the ISC board to
> accept CTK as an ISC-sponsored toolkit.   More info on the ISC is at:
> http://insightsoftwareconsortium.org/
>
> Stephen
>

> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Dominique Belhachemi
> <domibel at debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I try to figure out whether or not the CTK source code can be
> > distributed. Now I am having a couple of questions.
> >
> > - Some files in the CTK repository are covered by the ParaView license
> > version 1.2. Is it possible to add the referenced file
> > 'License_v1.2.txt' to the repository?
> >
> > - The Slicer license is missing as well. I found some statements which
> > points to dead links:
> >  "See Doc/copyright/copyright.txt
> >  or http://www.slicer.org/copyright/copyright.txt for details."
> >
> > - Who is the main copyright holder of CTK?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dominique
> >

> --

+1 919 869 8849