[Ctk-developers] Additional steps needed to build CTK

Russell M. Taylor II taylorr at cs.unc.edu
Fri Dec 31 09:06:44 EST 2010

At 04:20 AM 12/31/2010, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>Thanks Russell for you valuable feedback and also thanks for your
>interest into CTK.
>
>Let's now address the problems you reported.

Thanks for the help.  We're using CTK in our ImageSurfer2 program
that lets biologists do visualization on 3D confocal microscopy data
sets. (www.imagesurfer.org, next version).

>1) Regarding the path associated with DGraph. I pushed a branch
>named 'dgraph-path-for-mingw' on my CTK fork. See
><https://github.com/jcfr/CTK/compare/jcfr%3Amaster...dgraph-path-for-mingw>jcfr
>fork.  It would be great if you could check out that branch and
>update line 134 of file CMake/ctkMacroValidateBuildOptions.cmake. I
>still remain reluctant to push such change .. see question below.
Adding that line to the path didn't help.  It still builds Graph.exe
and then fails to run it.  That path is included in my environment,
and is seen both in the CMD path and in the MinGW environment.  When
I try to run DGraph.exe from the MINGW shell or from the command
prompt, I get a different error (wrong version of QtCore4.dll; that
didn't used to happen).

Actually, now that is the error I am also getting from CMake.  I
don't have the Qt stuff in my path because the build I'm using for
Paraview and CTK is different from the one I use for other projects
(which is a standard binary install).

>Question:  Should CTK build system be responsible to set that path ?
>Or should we assume that "c:/MinGW/bin" is globally set in the path
>of your system. Not being a MinGw expert .. not sure what would be
>the correct answer ?

It is in my path, which is what is confusing me.

Another symptom: sometimes during the build process, CMake itself
(GUI) is unable to find the compiler during configuration and I have
to quit and restart it to make it work again.

>2) Regarding Git path. I will have a look. you shouldn't have to set
>both GIT_EXECUTABLE and GIT_COMMAND.

GIT_COMMAND was the only one visible.  Once I set it, GIT_EXECUTABLE
became visible and needed to be set.

Russ

>Thks
>Jc
>

>On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Russell M. Taylor II
><<mailto:taylorr at cs.unc.edu>taylorr at cs.unc.edu> wrote:
>I wanted to share my experience trying to build CTK for the first
>time, in case it helps someone else.
>Windows XP Pro, 32-bit.
>Latest CMake.  Latest MinGW.  CTK from current GIT source.
>Build CTK from source. See:
><http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Build_Instructions>http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Build_Instructions
>for instructions. (When I did this using MinGW, it failed to run the
>DGraph.exe program because it was missing one of the DLLs from
>MinGW, even though this was on the path and could be run from the
>command line of both MinGW and CMD. The solution I found was to copy
>all of the DLLs from C:\MinGW\bin into
>{BUILD_ROOT}\Utilities\DGraph. Then it could find them when it ran
>the program. I also had to point both GIT_COMMAND and then
>GIT_EXECUTABLE to Git, in two separate passes through Configure
>within CMake. I also had to run mingw32-make several times after the
>first time in the build directory -- it failed with an internal
>CMake error the first time. During this time, it made another build
>directory underneath the one I had told it to make, and put another
>DGraph directory there, which required me to copy the DLLs again.)
>---
>Russell M. Taylor II,
>Ph.D.                           <mailto:taylorr at cs.unc.edu>taylorr at cs.unc.edu
>CB #3175, Sitterson
>Hall
><http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Etaylorr>www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
>University of North Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
>Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799
>

>--
>Phone: 1-518-836-2174
>Ext: 304

---