[Ctk-developers] Additional steps needed to build CTK

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Fri Dec 31 04:20:34 EST 2010

Thanks Russell for you valuable feedback and also thanks for your interest
into CTK.

Let's now address the problems you reported.

1) Regarding the path associated with DGraph. I pushed a branch named
'dgraph-path-for-mingw' on my CTK fork. See jcfr
fork<https://github.com/jcfr/CTK/compare/jcfr%3Amaster...dgraph-path-for-mingw>.
It would be great if you could check out that branch and update line 134 of
file CMake/ctkMacroValidateBuildOptions.cmake. I still remain reluctant to
push such change .. see question below.

Question:  Should CTK build system be responsible to set that path ? Or
should we assume that "c:/MinGW/bin" is globally set in the path of your
system. Not being a MinGw expert .. not sure what would be the correct
answer ?

2) Regarding Git path. I will have a look. you shouldn't have to set both
GIT_EXECUTABLE and GIT_COMMAND.

Thks
Jc

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Russell M. Taylor II <taylorr at cs.unc.edu>wrote:

>  I wanted to share my experience trying to build CTK for the first time, in
> case it helps someone else.
>
> Windows XP Pro, 32-bit.
> Latest CMake.  Latest MinGW.  CTK from current GIT source.
>
> Build CTK from source. See:
> http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Build_Instructions for instructions.
> (When I did this using MinGW, it failed to run the DGraph.exe program
> because it was missing one of the DLLs from MinGW, even though this was on
> the path and could be run from the command line of both MinGW and CMD. The
> solution I found was to copy all of the DLLs from C:\MinGW\bin into
> {BUILD_ROOT}\Utilities\DGraph. Then it could find them when it ran the
> program. I also had to point both GIT_COMMAND and then GIT_EXECUTABLE to
> Git, in two separate passes through Configure within CMake. I also had to
> run mingw32-make several times after the first time in the build directory
> -- it failed with an internal CMake error the first time. During this time,
> it made another build directory underneath the one I had told it to make,
> and put another DGraph directory there, which required me to copy the DLLs
> again.)
>
>  ---
> Russell M. Taylor II, Ph.D.                           taylorr at cs.unc.edu
> CB #3175, Sitterson Hall                        www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
>  <http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Etaylorr>University of North
> Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
> Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799

Phone: 1-518-836-2174
Ext: 304