[Ctk-developers] Scenes

Paladini, Gianluca (SCR US) gianluca.paladini at siemens.com
Fri Sep 18 17:56:16 EDT 2009

The advantage of a scene graph comes primarily from those nodes which
define attributes rather than drawn objects, because those attributes
can be inherited in lower branches of the scene and represent the state
of the system at any point during scene graph traversal - that is a key
feature, especially when it comes to transform matrices. "Separator"
objects prevent those state changes from propagating, while "Group"
objects don't. It is this mechanism that makes scene graphs ideal for
setting up coordinate systems and controlling parts that move with
respect to each other.
Without that it's not a scene graph, it's a pipeline. Pipelines are
supported in Open Inventor too, but via objects called engines rather
than nodes.