[Ctk-developers] XDOM - decorator pattern

Marco Viceconti viceconti at tecno.ior.it
Mon Nov 9 02:02:41 EST 2009

Worth to be said because when we agreed to use Qt, I am sure most of
us were thinking of the GUI, and not of a class from which every other
class in the framework would inherit.

So before we carry on, at the cost of being pedantic, let me pose this
question to the whole CTK group:

Qt provide a portable GUI framework, that we agreed to adopt in CTK.

But it also provides some interesting low-level mechanisms, in
particular a extensive multi-threading library and inter-object
communication mechanism.  Do we all agree that also this part of Qt
can be used to build CTK?

Even if we agree, would not be better to ensure that CTK is not ridden
of Qt code, and find solutions such as the wrapping of the QtObject
class into a CTK Class?

Cheers

Marco

Il giorno 8 Nov 2009, alle ore 12:07, Marco Nolden ha scritto:

> Marco Viceconti wrote:
>> I suspect that the mechanism our colleagues in INRIA described at
>> the  CTK meeting in Oxford is strongly based on the ability of
>> QTObjects  and derivative to exchange messages, making simple and
>> efficient the  use of message-passing mechanisms.  This however
>> creates a strong  dependency onto QT, which we might want to
>> discourage in CTK (we  should remember QT already changed license
>> model 2 times :-) ).
>>

> Dear Marco,
>
> at the first CTK meeting in Heidelberg we agreed on using Qt in CTK,
> since everyone is already using it. This does not necessarily
> include the Qt GUI classes, but the Qt Core module which offers the
> message-passing mechanisms. Of course such a strong dependency
> should always be discussed, but I'm not afraid of any licensing
> changes anymore.
>
> Regards
>
> Marco (the other one)
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Med. Marco Nolden
> Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research Center)
> Div. Medical & Biological Informatics          Tel: (+49) 6221-42 2325
> Im Neuenheimer Feld 280                        Fax: (+49) 6221-42 2345
> D-69120 Heidelberg                             eMail: M.Nolden at dkfz.de

MARCO VICECONTI, PhD
(viceconti at tecno.ior.it)
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica              tel.   39-051-6366865
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli                            fax.
39-051-6366863
via di Barbiano 1/10, 40136 - Bologna, Italy

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright in the forest of the night,
what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?