[ITK Community] [Insight-users] ITK and DICOM surfaces

Pölönen Harri Harri.Polonen at vtt.fi
Wed Dec 4 07:13:59 EST 2013

Hi Matt and Biran,

thanks for the info. It seems I have to make the IO routines for DICOM surfaces to our software anyway, so I might as well implement them as a DCMTK class into ITK. I haven't done anything that big before with ITK (only small filters) so I will be needing some help from the community then. And I'm not a programmer in the first place but just a researcher.

At the moment our software uses GDCM and not DCMTK... will that be a problem? I guess I can't use both at the same time, e.g. GDCM for volume reading/writing and DCMTK for surface reading/writing? I believe it's possible for be to re-build the software to use only DCMTK if needed, although it needs some extra work.

And one more thing: are there any reasons why I should prefer GDCM or DCMTK over another? At least they both seem to be actively maintained and updated.

Thanks!

/Harri