[CMake] Return an Error Code (or something) from a CMake Script.

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Feb 26 18:02:21 EST 2018

On 2018-02-26 14:19-0500 Michael Jackson wrote:

> In our CMake based project I generate a *.cmake file which I call with the following bit of code:
>
>  add_custom_target(DREAM3D_MKDOCS_GENERATION ALL
>    COMMAND "${CMAKE_COMMAND}" -P "${docsCmakeFile}"
>    COMMENT "using mkdocs to generate the documentation"
>  )
>
> Inside the generated file is the following cmake command:
>
>  message(STATUS "Starting mkdocs execution. This can take a while.....")
>  execute_process(COMMAND "/path/to/mkdocs" build
>                OUTPUT_VARIABLE mkdocs_gen_output
>                RESULT_VARIABLE mkdocs_gen_result
>                ERROR_VARIABLE mkdocs_gen_error
>                WORKING_DIRECTORY "/Users/mjackson/DREAM3D-Dev/DREAM3D-Build/Debug/Documentation/mkdocs"
>                )
>  message(STATUS "mkdocs_gen_result: ${mkdocs_gen_result}")
>  message(STATUS "mkdocs_gen_error: ${mkdocs_gen_error}")
>  message(STATUS "**************************************************************************")
>  message(STATUS "mkdocs_gen_output: ${mkdocs_gen_output}")
>  message(STATUS "**************************************************************************")
>

> The issue that I am having is that if the mkdocs command fails, the build does NOT show the failure. Is there a way to have the "cmake -P" command pick up the fact that the cmake script failed so that the build fails or throws a warning/error?

Hi Mike:

I think you already have a good specific answer to your question, but
just out of curiosity could this CMake script approach be replaced by
executing "/path/to/mkdocs" as the COMMAND in a custom command where
your DREAM3D_MKDOCS_GENERATION custom target DEPENDS on the OUTPUT of
that custom command?  Or are there reasons not to implement this more
usual custom command/custom target approach in this case?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin