[CMake] Latest versions of CMake/Qt Creator lock up configuration on CMake error

Haocheng Liu haocheng.liu at kitware.com
Tue Feb 20 17:50:04 EST 2018

Hi Ken,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov>
wrote:

> This might be a question for the folks at Qt, but I thought I would float
> it here first as other CMake users might have run into it.
>

> This morning I updated to the most recent versions of CMake (3.10.2) and
> Qt Creator (4.5.1). I then tried to use Qt Creator to configure a
> non-trivial CMake project from scratch and ran into an issue. The problem
> is that any time CMake fails to configure, the Qt Creator Build Settings
> GUI becomes non-responsive. This is a serious issue since it is common for
> CMake to fail because it cannot find some required component (like a
> library it depends on), and then to use the GUI to point CMake to the
> proper location of the library. However, once CMake fails to configure, Qt
> Creator doesn’t let you change the CMake variables to point it in the right
> direction.

Out of curiosity, I updated my Qt Creator to 4.5.1 and tested it with
CMake(3.10.1) on my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop and it works fine. I'm able to
modify the CMake variables.

> I suspect this is caused by the ne w server-mode feature of CMake. My
> guess is that once the CMake server fails to configure, it stops providing
> any information to Qt Creator, which then becomes nonresponsive until the
> configure succeeds.

Since CMake introduces its server mode in 3.7, ideally my CMake(3.10.1)
should also be affected. Humm.

> Has anyone seen this behavior or have any workarounds?

Have you tried to tweak the CMake variables via ccmake or cmake-gui then
right click your project in Qt Creator ->  call `Run CMake` in the context
menu?

best regards
Haocheng

> -Ken