[CMake] Latest versions of CMake/Qt Creator lock up configuration on CMake error

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Feb 20 16:08:27 EST 2018

This might be a question for the folks at Qt, but I thought I would float it here first as other CMake users might have run into it.

This morning I updated to the most recent versions of CMake (3.10.2) and Qt Creator (4.5.1). I then tried to use Qt Creator to configure a non-trivial CMake project from scratch and ran into an issue. The problem is that any time CMake fails to configure, the Qt Creator Build Settings GUI becomes non-responsive. This is a serious issue since it is common for CMake to fail because it cannot find some required component (like a library it depends on), and then to use the GUI to point CMake to the proper location of the library. However, once CMake fails to configure, Qt Creator doesn't let you change the CMake variables to point it in the right direction.

I suspect this is caused by the new server-mode feature of CMake. My guess is that once the CMake server fails to configure, it stops providing any information to Qt Creator, which then becomes nonresponsive until the configure succeeds.

Has anyone seen this behavior or have any workarounds?

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov<mailto:kmorel at sandia.gov>