[CMake] CMake + mdvc + --build + jenkins

J. Caleb Wherry calebwherry at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:38:10 EST 2018

(forgot to reply all)

I have a pretty similar setup but do not use the cmake --build since I
selectively build projects based the jenkins build type (CI, nightly,
research ,etc).

I'll see if I can kick off a test and use the --build option, I've thought
about doing that in the past but never tested. Will let you know if I see a
similar issue as you are seeing.

FWIW, I also set /nr:false so our setups are pretty close. I also build
Java and .NET wrappers in the same solution and sometimes have issues with
the .NET processes not ending when a build is done. I haven't investigated
those thoroughly though. So it is very possible something is screwed up
somewhere on either side.

-Caleb

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Michael Ellery <mellery451 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this is a long-shot, but I’m wondering if anyone has encountered
> this scenario:
>
> CMake (3.10) being used to generate a project for Visual Studio 15 (the
> current latest)
>
> the build is running on a windows machine under a jenkins slave process
>
> The generation step runs fine
>
> I then run cmake in build mode, and the build basically completes (based
> on the fact that I see the executable produced).  BUT the child MSBuild
> processes never exit and thus the build is stuck (cmake is still waiting…)
>
> I’ve tried running the jenkins slave process in a console window
> (foreground) just to eliminate any service/service account issues, but it
> makes no difference.
>
> More important, if I instead invoke MSBuild directly rather than use
> “cmake —build . ……”, the process behaves fine and runs to completion.
>
> This experiment makes me think something is odd about how cmake spawns the
> MSBuild process - perhaps some child event or signal is not being handled?
>
> In any event, I’m not blocked by this since I can simply run MSBUILD
> directly in the build script, but I wondered if this is a known issue or if
> others have encountered it.
>
> Also, I’ll note that I’m passing /nr:false to msbuild in both cases
> because that is common recommendation for running msbuild under CI.
>
> -Mike
>

> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

> opensource/opensource.html