[CMake] CMake + mdvc + --build + jenkins

Michael Ellery mellery451 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:49:34 EST 2018

I know this is a long-shot, but I’m wondering if anyone has encountered this scenario:

CMake (3.10) being used to generate a project for Visual Studio 15 (the current latest)

the build is running on a windows machine under a jenkins slave process

The generation step runs fine

I then run cmake in build mode, and the build basically completes (based on the fact that I see the executable produced).  BUT the child MSBuild processes never exit and thus the build is stuck (cmake is still waiting…)

I’ve tried running the jenkins slave process in a console window (foreground) just to eliminate any service/service account issues, but it makes no difference.

More important, if I instead invoke MSBuild directly rather than use “cmake —build . ……”, the process behaves fine and runs to completion.

This experiment makes me think something is odd about how cmake spawns the MSBuild process - perhaps some child event or signal is not being handled?

In any event, I’m not blocked by this since I can simply run MSBUILD directly in the build script, but I wondered if this is a known issue or if others have encountered it.

Also, I’ll note that I’m passing /nr:false to msbuild in both cases because that is common recommendation for running msbuild under CI.

-Mike