[CMake] CMake Server Mode and USE_FOLDERS

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc csiga.biga at aol.com
Tue Jul 4 06:43:24 EDT 2017

I can only speak about VS, which currently neither with the VS nor the Ninja generator use the FOLDERS property to lay out the targets inside the Solution Explorer. Instead, it maintains the folder structure of the CMake project. This was an intentional design decision from their part (at least for the time being), due to CMake folks primarily being used to the command line, thus they think in therms of the folder structure, not the logical layout of the CMake scripts.

There is a tendency though of hooking all CMake notions into the IDE, such as CTests show up Test Explorer. Reach out to the VS CMake team and let them know that there is such need, perhaps controlled through a switch.