[CMake] Using CPack with OSX 10.9

Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au
Tue Jul 29 19:16:39 EDT 2014

Thanks Norman,

Spot on – definitely feeling like we’re running against the grain here. Will check out the Cmake package as that sounds like a good example.

Cheers,

Lachlan Hetherton
Software Engineer (Visualisation)
☎ +613-9545-8041

From: "Williams, Norman K" <norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu<mailto:norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu>>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:18:10 +0000
To: Lachlan Hetherton <lachlan.hetherton at csiro.au<mailto:lachlan.hetherton at csiro.au>>, "cmake at cmake.org<mailto:cmake at cmake.org>" <cmake at cmake.org<mailto:cmake at cmake.org>>
Subject: Re: [CMake] Using CPack with OSX 10.9

I would look at how CMake itself is packaged for release.

The ‘one executable per App bundle’ is Apple-centric thinking that luckily is not enforced.  That isn’t how CMakes (or the OS X Emacs, e.g.) works. You can have whatever you want in an app bundle.

It does means that after install, users need to add the directory inside the bundle to their PATH environment variable, if the extra programs are meant to be command line executables.  You’d want whatever GUI program that is your main program to be the executable run when you open the app bundle.

The problem is that what you’re trying to do doesn’t map neatly onto the Apple world, so you have to choose the least worst workaround.  For that matter, using a compressed tar instead of an App Bundle would work too.