[CMake] CMake installation problems

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri May 3 08:40:15 EDT 2013

2013/5/3 Prasun Sarkar <prasuns25 at gmail.com>:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to install CMake (version 2.6.4) prior to the installation
> of Geant4 in my system (Scientific linux cern 5.3). As I give the
> command
>
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/geant4/geant4.9.5-install
> /home/geant4/geant4.9.5/cmake-2.6.4

Why would you like to install such "ancient version" of cmake?
Unless you have good reason to do so you should install
2.8.x series. 2.8.10.2 being the latest release.

> it is showing
>
>  $ Curses libraries were not found. Curses GUI for CMake will not be built.
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /home/geant4/geant4.9.5/cmake-2.6.4
>
> Any suggestion to solve this problem would be appreciative.

[...]

> It looks like you do not have the Curses headers/libraries installed on
> the system. However, it is reporting that configuration/generation was
> successful, so you should be able to build CMake fine, just that you
> won't get the ccmake Curses interface. If you do want ccmake , then
> you'll need to install the relevant packages - on SLC, I think these are
> rpms ncurses and ncurses-devel .

That's a good answer did you simply try

$ yum install ncurses-devel

I guess the already configured repository should work?

> You could also try using the Linux binary distributed by Kitware
> (http://cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html)

This is a good advice as well.
Did you try any of the pre-compiled binaries?

[...]

> I have already used the linux binary distributed by kitware for cmake
> version 2.6.4. ( http://cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html )

So what is the problem with that version?

> Any additional comments to install the "Curses libraries" would be
> appreciated.

This question is not cmake-specific, may be you should ask
on SLC support channels (forum, mailing list, ...).
https://www.scientificlinux.org/community/

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org