[CMake] Bootstrapping CMake

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Jun 6 03:42:54 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:57:04 -0700
Frerich Raabe <raabe at froglogic.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> one of the projects I'm working on requires that the build system can be
> bootstrapped, i.e. when unpacking a source tarball you run 'configure' which
> is actually a shell script which first runs 'make' to build the actual
> (proprietary) build tool - which has no dependencies other than a C++
> compiler and a C++ library - and then it runs the build tool. So even though
> our software has a significant number of external dependencies (the Qt
> libraries, for instance), the build tool itself is shipped with the sources,
> and it builds on a wide range of platforms. Whether this design is sensible
> or not is a different discussion, I'd rather not get dragged into discussing
> that. :-)
>
> I considered porting this project to CMake, and one of the issues which came
> up is that it requires customers to install CMake to build from sources - and
> CMake may (or may not?) be available on all the platforms we would like to
> support. So the question came up: is it feasible (and legally possible, as
> far as the license goes) to ship a (subset?) of CMake so that we can build
> CMake ourselves? Did anybody do this already?

It is legally possible because CMake is under the modified BSD licence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses which is a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissive_free_software_licence , and allows
almost every use.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

UNIX Fortune Cookies - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/

Selina: Toothpicks? Have you blokes been watching too much Sesame Street?
Warrior #1: Why, of course! Every mighty Klingon warrior has watched Sesame
Street.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Selina-Mandrake/