[CMake] CDT generator help: path discovery and other items

Olaf Peter ope-devel at gmx.de
Tue Jun 4 01:57:07 EDT 2013

> Eclipse does have some issues, where cmake simply cannot help.
> Some settings are stored neither in the .project nor in the .cproject files,
> but inside the workspace metedata, which cmake cannot touch (because it is
> somewhere else, it is binary, undocumented, etc.).

What are this for issues? Where are they documented? I have the problem,
that code completion doesn't work, a huge eclispse error marker are
shown due to the fact, that includes are not indexed? by eclipse. The
includes has /usr/local/include paths e.g. The cmake project compiles
fine since the includes are set correctly for make.

I've a source and sibling build dir and using hg/svn.

> Also, Eclipse only open the version control plugins inside the project
> directory. Now with cmake out-of-source builds the project files for Eclipse
> are generated in the build tree, not in the source tree, and Eclipse doesn't
> see version control files there, so it never opens the version control
> plugins. I would naively assume that it shouldn't be too hard to add an entry
> SourceRootDir or something like that to the .project file, which, if set,
> would then be used instead of the directory of .project. Then cmake could
> simply write that tag into the .project file and Eclipse would be able to
> handle it. But for that it needs somebody deep in Eclipse to add support for
> that inside Eclipse.

since cmake is able to create a source project to, all version control
has to be there, finaly haaving a build dir with virtual folder for the
source and the source dir for versioning. Not fine, but works.

Regards,
Olaf