[CMake] Visual Studio 10 compiler identification unknown

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Mon Aug 5 10:45:04 EDT 2013

Hi Jochen,

I had the same issue when I ran CMake (the regular one for Windows, so not
a Cygwin-build) from a Cygwin prompt. It was caused by the VS compiler not
being able to handle two environment variables that only differ in case. In
my case there were a "tmp" and a "TMP" variable, and it caused this error.

For me the solution was to clean up all environment variables, then kill
all MSBuild.exe processes. Without this last step, the old environment will
still be used. In your case maybe killing MSBuild.exe is enough?

Best,
Sybren

On 5 August 2013 16:32, <iss at nesono.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I hope this is not an old and boring question to you, but I did not find
> any help in the web to the following problem:
>
> I try to create a Visual Studio 10 solution on Windows 8 with having
> Visual Studio being installed alongside Visual Studio 11. Somehow, cmake
> does not find the right compilers:
>
> -- The C compiler identification is unknown
> -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
>
> Any ideas how to fix that or gain more debugging information? I invoked:
>
>> cmake -G 'Visual Studio 10' --debug-trycompile --debug-output ../
>>
> and get the error in cygwin/or visual studio developer cmd
>
> Hope anyone knows the answer...
>
> -- jochen
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/**CMake_FAQ<http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ>