[CMake] 2.8.11.2, Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64?

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Aug 2 14:53:00 EDT 2013

> please don't take me wrong, but you can find it easily

> at http://cmake.org/cmake/help/v2.8.11/cmake.html when searching for Win64.

> I see the point with the copy&paste, so we list the available generators (including

> all registered WinCE SDKs), but then we have a difference between the generated

> documentation and the --help output. Would that be a solution? (ATM the

> generated documentation is a superset of all known generators and e.g. we

> don't show Xcode on Windows...) Isn't that a (too) long list in the meantime?

OK... but don’t take me wrong either.

I’m not saying you ought to be the one to fix this stuff up. I’m just saying the guy who originally posted the question has a legitimate reason for the question: Win64 used to be mentioned by cmake --help in 2.8.10, now it is not.

The fact that Xcode is not mentioned is a whole ‘nuther different problem, and that should probably be addressed somehow, too. (As it is, the generated documentation has to be modified after it’s generated to add Xcode so that it appears on that web page...)

This whole Win64 issue may be solved rather simply in my opinion: in addition to listing all the known -G generators in --help, cmake should also list all the known -T platform toolset values in --help. Or if not directly in --help, then via a new --help-toolsets which would list them for each generator that has them.

Somehow someway, “Win64” should still appear in --help output.

Have a good weekend,