[CMake] 2.8.11.2, Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64?

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Aug 2 14:23:38 EDT 2013

> IMHO this is a RTFM problem, since the generated documentation mentions ARM and Win64

> generators.

Yes, well. “cmake --help” *is* a FM, IMHO.

But now, when I’m in the cmd prompt:

C:\dev>cmake --help | findstr Visual
  Visual Studio 6             = Generates Visual Studio 6 project files.
  Visual Studio 7             = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2002 project
  Visual Studio 10            = Generates Visual Studio 10 (2010) project
  Visual Studio 11            = Generates Visual Studio 11 (2012) project
  Visual Studio 12            = Generates Visual Studio 12 (2013) project
  Visual Studio 7 .NET 2003   = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2003 project
  Visual Studio 8 2005        = Generates Visual Studio 8 2005 project files.
  Visual Studio 9 2008        = Generates Visual Studio 9 2008 project files.

C:\dev>cmake --help | findstr Win64

C:\dev>cmake --help | findstr ARM

C:\dev>rem Huh. There used to be Win64 generators. Wonder what happened to them?

I always use “cmake --help” when I’m in the cmd prompt so that I can copy and paste a generator name. Since they’re not named nicely/consistently across all versions of VS, I am constantly reminding myself of the correct full string.

If you don’t want to have cmake --help list the same exact set of stuff available in the drop-down in cmake-gui, I think you’re asking for questions like this for a long time to come.

At least list the ones that used to be there, and say “hey here’s a better way to do this now with -T”. Or mention “Win64” and “ARM” in the -T help so somebody looking for Win64 will see it.

You say RTFM, I say, “OK, what page is the Win64 stuff on?”

Thanks,