[CMake] CTest / CDash integration

Martin Baute solar at rootdirectory.de
Tue Apr 9 10:03:19 EDT 2013

Hi there,

one thing I haven't been able to figure out yet. Quite
obviously the idea is that CMake, CTest and CDash should
go hand in hand.

But documentation-wise, there is a big rift once we are
done digging through the CMake docs. We are told that
"include( CTest )" in CMakeLists.txt does add CTest support
to a CMake build, and indeed it does.

We are told that we can download a CTestConfig.cmake from
our CDash server to get our build data uploaded, and indeed
it works.

But when it comes to customizing, things get fuzzy.

There is lots of information to be had about how you could
script and configure CTest, but somehow I could neither locate
a list of supported variable settings (i.e., there is no such
thing as "ctest --help-variables"), nor does there seem to
exist an explanation on how to build in a clean binary
directory. I *did* figure out that there is a variable
CTEST_START_WITH_EMPTY_BINARY_DIRECTORY, and that adding it
to my CTestCustom.ctest indeed wipes out my binary directory -
including the CMakeCache with the platform-specific settings
(like CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH).

I'm not (really) asking about having my hand held through all
these (minor) issues, but apparently I have either missed an
important part of the documentation, or it is indeed sorely
lacking.

Which one is it?

(I've been at CMake_Testing_With_CTest and CMake_Scripting_Of_CTest
in the Wiki, but somehow it doesn't really fit together all that
well.)

Regards,
--
Martin Baute