[CMake] [Boost-users] link error in Visual Studio when using boost from CMake

Hui Wang huiwang8921 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:19:03 EDT 2012

Yes, target_link_libraries works well, I had problem before because I used
find_package(Boost) instead of find_package(Boost COMPONENTS thread), so
when I used target_link_libraries( MyProject ${Boost_LIBRARIES} ), it
didn't link anything, after I specify the components in find_package, it
has no problem.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> On May 1, 2012, at 11:37 AM, Mourad Boufarguine wrote:
>

> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Rolf Eike Beer <eike at sf-mail.de> wrote:
> > On Di.,   1. Mai. 2012 00:20:58 CEST, Mourad Boufarguine <
> mourad at boufarguine.name> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > add this :
> > >
> > > link_directories(${Boost_LIBRARY_DIRS})
> > >
> > > after the include_directories command.
> >
> > No, please don't. The target_link_libraries command is what you really
> want. Please stop advertising link_directories, it's usage is almost
> certainly wrong and while it sometimes seems to solve your problem it
> usually just creates another one.
> >
> > Eike
> > --
> >

> > Unless you disable Boost auto-linking, i'm afraid it's the only option.
> Boost autolinking is enabled by default for Visual Studio. In this case,
> Boost headers have pragmas to link to Boost libs.
> >
> > #pragma comment (lib, "libboost_xxxx.lib")
> >
> > If you don't add  Boost_LIBRARY_DIRS  to the link directories, it won't
> work.
> >
> > Mourad
> >

> Nope. I don't use link_directories at all and I use Boost on windows all
> the time. I use the "target_link_libraries(...) method and it has NEVER
> give me any trouble on windows with VS 2005, 2008 and 2010.
>
> YMMV (but it shouldn't)
> ---
> Mike Jackson                 www.bluequartz.net
>
> --