[CMake] How to CPack my sources

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Jul 19 12:39:49 EDT 2012

587:[mjackson at Ferb:Build]$ cpack --help
cpack version 2.8.7
Usage

  cpack -G <generator> [options]

  -G <generator>              = Use the specified generator to generate
                                package.
  -C <Configuration>          = Specify the project configuration
  -D <var>=<value>            = Set a CPack variable.
  --config <config file>      = Specify the config file.

So in my head I thought "Configuration" meant use one of the "CPack*Config.cmake" files since there is a "Config" in the name of those files. A little bit of a disconnect. I supposed if I had slowed down a bit I might have looked 2 more lines down and caught the --config parameter. Maybe -C should have the "This the same as CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE" or something like that.  or just add (Debug, Release...) to the end of the

  -C <Configuration>          = Specify the project configuration

line to make this REALLY clear what is meant.

Anyways, that was my thought process. Yours may vary. :-)
Mike Jackson                    Principal Software Engineer
BlueQuartz Software                            Dayton, Ohio
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net              www.bluequartz.net

On Jul 19, 2012, at 12:06 PM, David Cole wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Did you make this error with -C because of some bad documentation
> somewhere? (I seem to recall this in the past, but I think we've fixed
> up all the places where that error occurred...) If there's still an
> error out there somewhere in some docs that seem like they should be
> "current", I'd like to fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/7/19 Michael Jackson <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net>:
>>> I would like to be able to run "make source" or "cpack source" or something like that where just my source files are packed up.
>>
>> You were almost there this is:
>>
>> make package_source
>>
>>> I have the following in a cmake file that is included in my Main CMakeLists.txt file:
>>>

>>> SET(CPACK_SOURCE_GENERATOR "TGZ")
>>> SET(CPACK_SOURCE_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME "${CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME}_Source.tar.gz")
>>> SET(CPACK_SOURCE_TOPLEVEL_TAG "Source")
>>> SET(CPACK_IGNORE_FILES "/i386/;/x64/;/VS2008/;/zRel/;/Build/;/\\\\.git/;\\\\.*project")