[CMake] CMake + Ninja

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Tue Jan 10 00:03:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 02:08:24PM -0500, Clifford Yapp wrote:
> Peter,
>
> FYI, I'm seeing a problem with the BRL-CAD build on the Mac with CMake
> + ninja using the latest git versions - when I try to run tclsh, I get
> a problem with it trying to link
> TARGET_INSTALLNAME_DIRlibtcl.8.5.dylib instead of the local
> libtcl.8.5.dylib in the build directory.  This doesn't seem to happen
> on Linux.

Hi Clifford,

The attached patch should add support for TARGET_INSTALLNAME_DIR.
Please let me know if it works -- it's untested, as I don't have easy
access to a Mac.

> Also, a question - is it in the plans longer term to add build.ninja
> files in subdirectories, so I can cd into a subdirectory and build
> just what's required for that directory (i.e. like make)?  Or is ninja
> a "toplevel-only" setup?

Ninja doesn't work that way.  You can of course list specific targets
to build on the command line.

That said, a way of saying "build every target in this subdirectory"
(for example, by specifying that subdirectory as a target on the
command line) would be a nice feature to have.

Thanks,
--
Peter