[CMake] Add Custom COmmand and CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:25:12 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> I am having trouble getting add_custom_Command and CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR to work correctly together. This is what I have so far.
>
> # ---------- Setup output Directories -------------------------
> SET (CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
>   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin
>   CACHE PATH
>   "Single Directory for all Libraries"
>   )
>
> # Create our custom executable that will generate most of our QFilterWidget
> # classes from information stored in the Filters themselves.
> configure_file( ${FilterWidgets_SOURCE_DIR}/CodeGen.cpp.in
>                 ${FilterWidgets_BINARY_DIR}/FilterWidgetCodeGen.cpp)
> add_executable(FilterWidgetCodeGen ${FilterWidgets_BINARY_DIR}/FilterWidgetCodeGen.cpp)
> target_link_libraries(FilterWidgetCodeGen MXA EbsdLib DREAM3DLib)
> set(EXE_EXTENSION "")
> if (WIN32)
>   set (EXE_EXTENSION ".exe")
> endif()
> # Now run the code to generate the header files which will over write the place
> # holder files that were generated from above
> add_custom_command(TARGET FilterWidgetCodeGen POST_BUILD
>             COMMAND FilterWidgetCodeGen${EXE_EXTENSION}
>             WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY})
>

> I know this is going to fail on visual studio, which it did. The issue is, what combination of CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR and anything else do I use to get this to work?
>
> Thanks

Hi

AFAICS the only real problem is the EXE_EXTENSION. If you use a target
name in add_custom_command, CMake will figure out the location and name
of the actual executable on its own. By appending EXE_EXTENSION CMake
won't be able to recognize the target name any more, and just run the
command as you specified it. In this case you would need to fiddle
around with CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR, that's true. But since CMake is able to do
it automagically, I think you shouldn't try to outsmart it.

Another thing: I think you should use CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
instead of CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY.

My 2c...

Michael