[CMake] Visual Studio Generator: Unable to show property page for custom build tool

Niels Dekker - address until 2014 niels_dekker_address_until_2014 at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 4 17:37:22 EST 2012

Michael Guerrero wrote:
> Hi, I’ve been experimenting with using Visual Studio’s “Custom Build
> Tool” per cpp file to perform some specialized operations. However, the
> property page is not visible (not editable) when I generate a project
> with cmake. To see what this looks like, see here:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msbuild/thread/496e301c-de2e-49bf-bbfa-ea8de335a0a5
>
> To reproduce:
> 1)Generate a c++ project for visual studio (I’m using vs2010)
> 2)Right click a .cpp file in the solution and go to properties
> 3)Under Configuration Properties/General, change “Item Type” to “Custom
> Build Tool”
> 4)Click Apply
> 5)Select Configuration Properties / Custom Build Tool / General
>
> I’ve attempted to hand edit the solution and project files to determine
> what is causing this but nothing I removed seemed to have any affect.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this or where to look?

Please have a look at the following issue that I reported last year:
"0012570: VS10 property pages for single source file gone",

That's the issue, isn't it? I posted the following workaround at
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/635294/using-absolute-path-in-clcompile-item-prevents-property-pages-from-showing
:

Suppose the .vcxproj file is located at drive 'D:'. Now associate 'D:\'
with a new (unused) drive letter, for example 'V:', using cmd.exe:

subst V: D:\

Now open the project via drive 'V:', instead of drive 'D:'. And guess
what, Visual Studio 2010 allows viewing the C/C++ properties of
individual source files!

HTH, Niels
--
Niels Dekker