[CMake] FindX11 vs. Lion

Clifford Yapp cliffyapp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:28:40 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Randolph M. Fritz <RFritz at lbl.gov> wrote:
> (well, the title was too good to pass up.)
>
> I am having problems with FindX11 on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).  FindX11
> unpredictably finds libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib and symbolic links to
> libraries in /opt/local/lib (the MacPorts port library.)

BRL-CAD attempts to address this with a combination of a module for
managing Fink and MacPorts search paths and our own variation on
FindX11.cmake:

http://brlcad.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/brlcad/brlcad/trunk/misc/CMake/FindX11.cmake?revision=52113
http://brlcad.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/brlcad/brlcad/trunk/misc/CMake/Fink_MacPorts.cmake?revision=52069

> On Lion, the Apple X server files always reside in /usr/X11; include files in /usr/X11/include
> and libraries in /usr/X11/lib.  All other locations are symbolic links,
> except in the unusual case when a Lion system has a non-Apple X server.
>
> Is there any simple way to tell FindX11 to leave /opt/local (and probably
> also /sw and /usr/local) alone, unless I want it to pay attention to them?
> Or perhaps only use the Apple X11 server unless instructed otherwise?

The above two files may prove helpful, although I don't think we
currently exclude /opt/local - they're BSD licensed so feel free to
customize them for your needs.

> Then again, Apple has removed X11 support from Mountain Lion (10.8),
> referring X11 users to the open source XQuartz.  I have no idea what the
> XQuartz installation is like, though it may be similar to the older Apple
> server.

Not sure how this will impact things - I don't think I've tested
against an XQuartz install in a while.

Cheers,
CY