[CMake] FindX11 vs. Lion

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 17 15:36:10 EDT 2012

(well, the title was too good to pass up.)

I am having problems with FindX11 on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).  FindX11
unpredictably finds libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib and symbolic links to
libraries in /opt/local/lib (the MacPorts port library.)  On Lion, the
Apple X server files always reside in /usr/X11; include files in
/usr/X11/include and libraries in /usr/X11/lib.  All other locations
are symbolic links, except in the unusual case when a Lion system has a
non-Apple X server.

Is there any simple way to tell FindX11 to leave /opt/local (and
probably also /sw and /usr/local) alone, unless I want it to pay
attention to them?  Or perhaps only use the Apple X11 server unless
instructed otherwise?

Then again, Apple has removed X11 support from Mountain Lion (10.8),
referring X11 users to the open source XQuartz.  I have no idea what
the XQuartz installation is like, though it may be similar to the older
Apple server.

Randolph M. Fritz • RFritz at lbl.gov
Environmental Energy Technologies Division • Lawrence Berkeley Labs