[CMake] CMake 2.8.8 : Reproducible Crash in Mac OS X 10.8

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Aug 10 13:55:59 EDT 2012

On 8/9/2012 6:04 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Although not requiring installation of Xcode's command-line tools
> would be nice, at a minimum, CMake's runtime, or at least its
> installer, should check for any needed prerequisites and inform the
> user if a prerequisite is missing.  I've spent several hours in the
> last few days trying to figure out why CMake 2.8.8 just wouldn't work
> on a new Mac, until someone pointed out to me that it was necessary
> to install Xcode's command-line tools.  The error messages I received
> from CMake just added to the confusion.

Just curious what would an autotools or makefile based project do on a
new mac?  I am guessing it will not print anything other than, there is
no compiler found.  That said we will try to make cmake print a helpful
message or work out of the box.  I am just wondering how other projects
are handling the sudden disappearance of the compiler from the command
line...  (it has been there since the very first OSX Mac...)

-Bill