[CMake] CMake 2.8.8 : Reproducible Crash in Mac OS X 10.8

Jerry Krinock jerry at sheepsystems.com
Thu Aug 9 18:04:39 EDT 2012

Well, I fixed the other problems after someone pointed out to me on another forum that using CMake with Xcode 4.4 requires that the Xcode command-line tools be installed  (Xcode ▸ Preferences ▸ Downloads).  Maybe the absence of the command-line tools was a factor in the crash too.

For the benefit of other Xcode users, I added the following comment to Kitware bug 13408 (http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=13408).

* * *

Although not requiring installation of Xcode's command-line tools would be nice, at a minimum, CMake's runtime, or at least its installer, should check for any needed prerequisites and inform the user if a prerequisite is missing.  I've spent several hours in the last few days trying to figure out why CMake 2.8.8 just wouldn't work on a new Mac, until someone pointed out to me that it was necessary to install Xcode's command-line tools.  The error messages I received from CMake just added to the confusion.