[CMake] Generating multiple debian packages

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:50:30 EDT 2012

2012/8/8 m.hergarden <m.hergarden at euphoria-it.nl>

>  I have found this to work for RPM files:
>
> You have to define components using:
> cpack_add_component(runtime DISPLAY_NAME runtime REQUIRED INSTALL_TYPES
> all)

You are right defining components is the easiest way to produce several
packages (deb, rpm, zip, etc...)
This is explained here:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack

> For rpm I had to set this:
> SET(CPACK_RPM_COMPONENT_INSTALL     "ON"
> (Grepping on component in the CPackDeb.cmake module suggests the deb files
> use something similar.)

This fact is explained as well:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack#Enabling_Component_Packaging

Beginning with CPack/CMake 2.8.8 you can get the list of CPACK_xxx control
variables:

cpack --help-variable-list

and
cpack --help-variable "CPACK_<GENNAME>_COMPONENT_INSTALL"

gives you the specific documentation:

  CPACK_<GENNAME>_COMPONENT_INSTALL
       Enable/Disable component install for CPack generator <GENNAME>.

         Each CPack Generator (RPM, DEB, ARCHIVE, NSIS, DMG, etc...) has a
legacy
         default behavior. e.g. RPM builds monolithic whereas NSIS builds
component.
         One can change the default behavior by setting this variable to
0/1 or OFF/ON.

> In your INSTALL() statements you have to add 'COMPONENT runtime' to
> specify the component a file belongs to.
>
> Hth,
> Micha
>

> On 08/08/2012 08:59 AM, Bruce wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Got my shiny new cmake build system going for my project on windows,
> Ubuntu, and Mac.
>
> Despite a fair bit of research I'm still not sure how to generate 2
> separate debian packages from the same cmake files - say myapp.deb and
> myapp-dev.deb.
>
>  Concerning the naming scheme of the various packages, there are some
limitations:
see: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12997
and related bugs.

--