[CMake] ctest returns 255 after running ctest_test() if no tests are available

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jan 28 06:14:29 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Rolf Eike Beer <eike at sf-mail.de> wrote:
>>     Error in read script:
>> /satsop/build/kitt-cmake-based-addons-for-legacy-trunk/kitt.cmake
>
> This one I also see rather often. What does this mean? "There was any
> warning or failure on test or build"?
>
> Eike

ctest returns non-zero when there is *any* sort of problem running a
script. It could mean:
- ctest_update had a problem updating the source tree
- ctest_configure detected configure warnings or errors
- ctest_build detected build warnings or errors
- ctest_test detected "tests not run" or failed tests
- ctest_submit had a problem submitting data to CDash
- some other script command caused some other error condition

Hopefully, in each of these cases, there is output of some sort
indicating what the real underlying problem is.

There is an outstanding bug report regarding ctest returning an error
when executed with -D for running dashboards when build errors occur:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11368 -- related, but not
exactly the same thing...

As to the original post in this thread: I think it would be a good
idea to make ctest_test not induce an error just because there are no
tests to run. We should also enable returning information like: total
number of available tests, number of tests that match the
INCLUDE/EXCLUDE conditions, number not run, number failed, number
passed...

HTH,
David