[CMake] ExternalProject_Add, race conditions, MSVC_IDE

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jan 24 09:50:39 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using ExternalProject_Add and I have to say IMHO it's one of
> the best features added to CMake in the last years. It works great for
> me on Linux (makefiles), MSVC2010 (NMake Makefiles) and Mac
> (makefiles).
>
> Together with a small .sh (Unix) and a .bat (Windows), you can make
> your project full bootstrappable and only depend on the user having a
> C++ compiler (not even CMake, which has been the biggest argument
> against CMake by autotools fans)
>
> Now to the bad news:
>
> - I have experienced lots of race conditions on Windows, both with
> Cygwin and NMake

What sort of race conditions? And how do you know they are race conditions?

> - I've tried to use it with MSVC solutions but if fails miserable with
> errors about cmd.exe. Is this by design or is it a bug?

We do not intend to fail miserably, so I'm going to say that it's not by
design... but if you are specifying commands that will not succeed, then
perhaps it's by design on your side... :-)

Can you send a small example project that fails miserably, or is it only the
large complicated full project build that fails miserably? (Can you run the
"ExternalProject" test from the CMake test suite and have it succeed in your
environment?)

Thanks,
David