[CMake] ExternalProject_Add, race conditions, MSVC_IDE

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Jan 22 08:15:27 EST 2011

Hello,

I've been using ExternalProject_Add and I have to say IMHO it's one of
the best features added to CMake in the last years. It works great for
me on Linux (makefiles), MSVC2010 (NMake Makefiles) and Mac
(makefiles).

Together with a small .sh (Unix) and a .bat (Windows), you can make
your project full bootstrappable and only depend on the user having a
C++ compiler (not even CMake, which has been the biggest argument
against CMake by autotools fans)

Now to the bad news:

- I have experienced lots of race conditions on Windows, both with
Cygwin and NMake

- I've tried to use it with MSVC solutions but if fails miserable with
errors about cmd.exe. Is this by design or is it a bug?

I'm using the latest CMake snapshot. The project is here:

http://gitorious.org/winstng

See 'winst' and 'winst.bat' if you are interested in the boostrapping part.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org