[CMake] [cmake-developers] Generating information for C++ tools in cmake (patch)

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Fri Jan 14 10:00:30 EST 2011

> On 01/13/2011 06:05 PM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
> > I think that finding this file in the same spot relative to the base
> > build directory independently of the build system used will make it a
> > lot easier for tool-smiths / users to actually make use of it. If you
> > want to hide it away, I'd vote for a more build system independent
> > name than CMakeFiles.
>
> CMake used to write lots of files to the top of the build tree but many
> people complained about the verbosity, especially for in-source builds.
> Now we hide as many files as possible under CMakeFiles/ subdirectories.
> If the file must go in the top level then I'd prefer to enable it only
> optionally as discussed previously.

I don't see much value in enabling this by default anyway as it doesn't add any value for the average user. If anyone wants to use this then why not make this entirely dependent on a variable to enable it at all. Then add a second variable or global property that holds the location of the file and the user may write to if he wants a different place.

Eike