[CMake] building gcc with cmake

luxInteg lux-integ at btconnect.com
Thu Jan 6 07:16:25 EST 2011

On Thursday 06 January 2011 02:11:46 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2011-01-06 03:02-0000 luxInteg wrote:
> > just curious,
> >
> > but I wondering if anyone on list has ever built gcc with cmake.
> > (or  at least had a go)
>
> I did it by hand years ago (1996 when I started with Linux and needed
> to add g77 to the slackware version of gcc that I had at the time.) It
> was pretty straightforward.  Basically, you iterated the build of the
> C component until that converged, then added in all the other
> languages for a last build of the complete collection of language
> compilers.
>
> If that continues to be the method, enshrining all those steps in a
> CMakeLists.txt file would make a small amount of sense as an exercise
> of your cmake skills, but you could do it with an ordinary bash script
> as well, and I assume that is what is done now in any case.
>
> Alan

I have built gcc//C,C++,ada,fortran// with {configure, make, make install} a
few times.  However I was thinking of  more than gcc and  said tools.
I was thinking   also  if cmake has been used to  build glibC, binutils  (i.e.
toolchains) as well.  Possible applications could be in embedded  areas
including non-x86 cpu's.  (Incidently does anyone know if  cmake does(can)
run on either  Renesas' superH-cpu  or  A-D's blackfin-cpu   machines?)