[CMake] building gcc with cmake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jan 5 21:11:46 EST 2011

On 2011-01-06 03:02-0000 luxInteg wrote:

> just curious,
>
> but I wondering if anyone on list has ever built gcc with cmake.
> (or  at least had a go)

I did it by hand years ago (1996 when I started with Linux and needed
to add g77 to the slackware version of gcc that I had at the time.) It
was pretty straightforward.  Basically, you iterated the build of the
C component until that converged, then added in all the other
languages for a last build of the complete collection of language
compilers.

If that continues to be the method, enshrining all those steps in a
CMakeLists.txt file would make a small amount of sense as an exercise
of your cmake skills, but you could do it with an ordinary bash script
as well, and I assume that is what is done now in any case.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).