[CMake] Automatic out of source build's possible?

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Tue Feb 8 11:43:42 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 04:56:26AM -0500, Martin O'Brien wrote:
> I definitely can't rely on the people who are complaining about having to do
> the -D... to have the correct version installed, or even to recognize when
> they don't, probably, and if I give them this option, they're going to write
> scripts that depend on it.  The basic problem is that although the users in
> question think of themselves as developers, they're really not.  They're
> more IT'ish, involved in doing things like configuring continuous
> integration servers, and I already get calls over things like
> CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED() that they really ought to be able to figure out on
> their own.

So your question boils down to "how do I support users who won't read
documentation or act on error messages in a useful way"? Let me know
when you solve that one and I'll nominate you for some kind of prize in
software engineering :).

Anyway, as someone with an IT'ish background who does menial things like
configure CI servers, my advice probably isn't worth much to a real
developer like yourself. I'll go back to studying
CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED().

tyler