[CMake] Generator for NetBeans 6.9

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri May 28 09:31:50 EDT 2010

On 5/28/2010 3:48 AM, Sebastian Meier wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>> Hmm, if you plan to implement a makefile-based generator, why are all
>> those settings needed in the project file ?
>
> I am not planning to implement a makefile-based generator. I just
> chose cmExtraEclipseCDT4Generator as a starting point because it
> seemed practical.
>
> Do you think in this case - namely a generator that creates some
> project files and doesn't need to generate a makefile - it would be
> more appropriate to subclass cmLocalGenerator or cmGlobalGenerator or
> both?

If you are not going to use makefiles, then you do not want to base it
on the eclipse generator.  You want to start with cmLocalGenerator and
cmGlobalGenerator.   Can NetBeans be driven from the command line?  That
is a requirement for getting try_compile to work.  You might want to
look at the VS 2010 generator as a model.  It is the most recent one
done.  It has a target generator which is a bit easier than the
local/global split of the older way of doing things.

-Bill