[CMake] CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH appears not to work properly for finding libtcl

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu May 13 14:48:39 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-13 14:20-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On 5/13/2010 2:09 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> I now have a simple CMakeLists.txt file which demonstrates this is a
>> general find issue whenever alternate NAMES are specified.
>>
>> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
>> project(test NONE)
>>
>> FIND_LIBRARY(TCL_LIBRARY
>> NAMES
>> tcl
>> tcl86 tcl8.6
>> tcl85 tcl8.5
>> tcl84 tcl8.4
>> tcl83 tcl8.3
>> tcl82 tcl8.2
>> tcl80 tcl8.0
>> )
>>

> This was by design.   The idea was that you find the first copy of something
> that is in the PATH.   The names were not expected to be in any particular
> order.  They were supposed to be equivalent.  If it found one good.  And,
> just like PATH it should find the first one that it finds.

I think you have just described the behaviour that I want and which I
believe most people expect.  Search for all names in the first alternate
location, then in the second, etc., until you get a hit.  But as my simple
example demonstrates that is not what has been implemented (at least for
FIND_LIBRARY) which is search for the first name in all locations in turn,
then continue for the second name, etc., until you get a hit.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).