[CMake] CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH appears not to work properly for finding libtcl

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 13 14:20:42 EDT 2010

On 5/13/2010 2:09 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> I now have a simple CMakeLists.txt file which demonstrates this is a
> general find issue whenever alternate NAMES are specified.
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
> project(test NONE)
>
> FIND_LIBRARY(TCL_LIBRARY
> NAMES
> tcl
> tcl86 tcl8.6
> tcl85 tcl8.5
> tcl84 tcl8.4
> tcl83 tcl8.3
> tcl82 tcl8.2
> tcl80 tcl8.0
> )

This was by design.   The idea was that you find the first copy of
something that is in the PATH.   The names were not expected to be in
any particular order.  They were supposed to be equivalent.  If it found
one good.  And, just like PATH it should find the first one that it
finds.   I guess it could be an option....

-Bill