[CMake] Effort to create a new generator (tup)

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Fri May 7 04:50:22 EDT 2010

On 6. May, 2010, at 18:59 , Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:16:14 +0200, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another issue: How would one automatically rerun CMake when one of the
>> input files to CMake changes? Of course, the build would then have to
>> continue with the potentially modified Tupfile's...
>
> Rebuilding with modified Tupfiles is not a problem, and will only build
> what is necessary.  But:
>
>  Tup doesn't support generating the Tupfiles themselves from other
>  programs. If you do that, you would need to run a separate program to
>  generate them before running 'tup upd'. I would hope that tup is
>  expressive enough that you don't feel the need to generate the
>  Tupfiles, though.
>
>  http://groups.google.com/group/tup-users/msg/2b16ad647bda6c7c
>

> Maybe this will change, preferably by coming up with a clean way to
> express the dependency.
>
> Jed

So far it seems that tup just isn't suited to be used by build-system generators such as CMake. Also, the crazy LD_PRELOAD stuff going on in there gives me the heebie-jeebies. There are plenty of ways that tup could miss an automatic dependency (such as a program setting LD_PRELOAD itself before using system/exec*/ or similar). What happens if somebody uses distcc?

Michael